The Metal Alien is the boss of Alien Area 3. It is a winged creature that guards the tunnel that connects to the next area. It can be seen hovering above from the beginning and will descend to attack the player as they reach this location.
The monster will position itself near the center of the screen, from where it will perform a number of attacks such as spewing indestructible insect gels, stab the player with its retractable inner mouth, or simply by using its body to bump on them. It is not remarkably resilient, though, and will go down with just a few well placed shots from most weapons.
In The Alien Wars, the Metal Alien appears while the player is climbing a wall after defeating Kimkoh. It teleports in and out and strikes with its tail in-between.
This version of the Metal Alien resembles more a steel dragon than an alien creature and does not teleport.
It has the following attacks:
- Shoots three sets of energy projections; these make a short dash before stopping, then they alter their trajectory toward the player and travel in that direction before stopping short, then they once again change their trajectory and dash toward the player before disappearing.
- Breathes fireballs down diagonally toward the player as it flies from either left or right. Once the fireballs make contact on the ground, they will burst into flames that will last about three seconds. If the player walks onto these flames they will get damaged.
- Either dives diagonally or swoops at the player.
- Walks toward the player and swipes with its long tail.
- Hovers about two feet above the ground before making a rapid straight charge attack. This move will catch the player off guard if they don't focus on inflicting enough damage. Afterward, the Metal Alien will fly back to where it made its charge.
- This enemy does not appear in the NES port, Super C.
- This enemy does not appear in the Game Boy port, Contra: The Alien Wars.
- The Metal Alien is an obvious reference to the xenomorphs appearing in the Alien franchise, up to the point of recreating the creature's characteristic elongated head, retractable inner mouth and overall body design.
- This enemy was originally planned to appear in Contra 4, but it was ultimately scrapped from the final release.