Contra: Rogue Corps is an upcoming run-and-gun game developed and published by Konami and the newest entry in the Contra series. The game is scheduled for release on September 24, 2019 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC.
Ruthless fiends roamed the area, bringing a world full of madness.
In the midst of chaos, five scoundrels emerge... they are the Rogue Corps.
They do not look anything like heroes of justice, but have they come to save humanity, or maybe they are looking to hit the jackpot by searching the Damned City for treasures... either way, the fate of the world is in their hands.
Contra: Rogue Corps is a canonical entry to the Contra franchise that picks up following the events of Contra III: The Alien Wars. The game was directed by the producer of Contra III and director of Contra: Hard Corps, Nobuya Nakazato.
Four new playable characters and a fifth support character are introduced in this game:
The game is presented in a top-down perspective in a 3D graphics environment, with camera angles changing in certain sections to give either a side-scrolling or an over-the-shoulder third-person perspective during gameplay. Game modes include single player, local wireless co-op and online multiplayer.
- Choose from four diverse characters with their own unique skills and specialty attacks. Determine weapons load out, customize and craft unique weapons.
- Operation Room: Upgrade characters and abilities, augmenting each with improved organs and cybernetics.
- PvE: Deep single player "Story" campaign mode. Go solo or group with up to 4 friends or random players online in multiplayer.
- PvP: Create custom matches (private mode) for 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 or 1vs4 players.
- Local "Couch" co-op modes with up to 4 players.
- Online and local multiplayer modes when the game releases for PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC.
The game was announced during an E3 Nintendo Direct on June 11, 2019, showing some gameplay, introducing four playable characters, game features and the game's release date scheduled for September 24 of the same year.
- The events in Rogue Corps take place two years after the Alien Wars, in 2638 AD; however, this is also the year when Contra 4 was formerly stated to take place. In order to make Rogue Corps fit into the timeline, Contra 4 had to be moved to take place only six months after the Alien Wars. This was probably due to Contra 4 technically being a western developed game, which in addition had made several changes to the original Japanese storyline.
- Legendary Konami video games cover art illustrator, Tom duBois, will provide secret "Inside of Box" artwork as part of day one "Locked and Loaded Edition" bonus content.
- Official site
- Nintendo Europe Twitter
- Konami brings back Contra with Contra: Rogue Corps at Polygon.com
- Contra: Rogue Corps coming to consoles and PC in September at VG24/7